Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cleavage

Cleavage was the book I picked to finish last night. It is written by Thianna Bischoff who was born and raised in Calgary. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although it took me awhile to get into it. Once I got past the visual effects the author used in this novel, ie: postcards with real Canadian stamps on them, a resume format of the main character, a cancer patient, notes between friends, and excerpts out of the dictionary, I found myself wanting to keep reading. The book is a quick read and I found myself wanting to know more, like it ended too soon once it did. Leah and her boyfriend Justin are the main characters, athough the novel is written from Leah's point of view. She found herself diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 24. The novel deals with her recovery and the worry one would feel after being deemed cancer free but knowing it can be a ticking time bomb under the surface waiting to strike again is evident in Bischoff's writing. Anyone can relate to this book since everyone has been touched some way by cancer at some point in their lives. I am going to keep watching for more novels from this young lady who from what I read in her book is ten years younger than I am, so there should be plenty of more work from her in years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment