Sunday, January 31, 2010

14 books finished!

I plowed through the Theo Fleury book and just finished Rachel Sontag's memoir, House Rules. What an easy read I found it to be. Maybe reading about a family that was more screwed up than the one I grew up in was refreshing and at times necessary to capture the feeling of, hey my life could have been worse. What opposite lives we lived, this Rachel Sontag and I. She grew up with a sister, a mom and a dad as opposed to myself growing up with a mom. Yes I'll grant her that she lived with what it sounded like TWO parents with mental illness, however these parents managed to hold down well paying, prestigious jobs throughout her formative years. Her father was a doctor and her mom, a social worker, ironically two very judged and skeptically viewed occupations that I perceived my mom to view as she dealt with many a doctor and a social worker throughout her life. Rachel's story about how controlling her father was yet manipulative in the sense that his wealth could provide many things for her and her sister such as many vacations abroad, expensive college educations. After reading this book, I think I need a fictional book to take my mind off the bizzare behaviors of Rachel's mother and father. I found myself very angry with the mom in this book and yet see many similarities between the mother and myself. Glad to have discovered this book and this author. I hope to find many more books from Rachel Sontag as she appears from her photo to be a young woman, ready to write many more books in the future. Now, after deviating from my list of fifty books, maybe I should consult the original list, find something in my collection of cluttering books......what to read? I still have 36 books left to read before I will allow myself to purchase another book. That means the sad situation of skipping the semi-annual used book sale at the library this April. Unless....I happen to read 36 more books in two months. Yeah right, it's not going to happen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment