Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kind of a let down

So three down, 47 more to go. While I finished The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens, it left me disappointed. In the end of the book, Mary Gooch does not even find her husband! It's like the author got tired of writing the book, figured she had enough pages to call it a book and called it quits! In a way, I find it quite Canadian of her in the sense that Lori Lansens, is somewhat like another favorite Canadian author of mine, Miriam Taevs. Both have a cast of quirky characters in every novel, setting their stories apart from many of the current popular novelists on the market today. Their plots, you wonder if they were on some sort of an acid trip while devising each story line and the settings, well many of their novels branch out in the fact that the characters are compelled to take a trip into the good old U. S. of A. Maybe this appeals to a broader range of readers?

Maybe I had hoped for some sort of reconciliation at the end of the book, maybe the practical side of me demanded that Mary head back home to the country she lives in and take care of the things she left behind in Leaford, Ontario. I mean, she and her husband were both gone for weeks, who was paying their utility bills and being accountable for their home, workplace, friends they left behind? What was the woman going to do when her bank account ran out? I don't know, maybe because I read this book while suffering from one of the worst head colds I've had in years, I happened to miss out on some of the key elements of the book. Maybe because I feel like I'm on a deadline of sorts I needed to rush through the book. Either way, I would have to say, if you are going to read one of Lansen's books, check out The Girls. It was a page turning, thought provoking book that didn't disappoint. The Wife's Tale....wait until your drugged up on Tylenol Cold and Flu to read this one!!

Now on to the next one. I think I will dive into a book that is sure to be a fun read. I have three books in Julie Kenner's 'Demon Hunting Soccer Mom' series. I have a feeling it's not going to be as deep as the Twilight series and I should be able to polish off the first book in a couple of days, just in time for me to return it to the library!! Carpe Demon here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment